A bike is great for getting around traffic, and other problems caused by the use of cars. During my daily commute I must compete for road space with semis, vans, motorcycles, and the occasional speeding car. Sometimes I just want to enjoy my bike ride and my destination is happiness.
Thus I started riding my bike just before the sun rise. Typically in the 5 am time. It has brought great comfort to me to be able to take the whole street lane, and not have to check for speeding cars every couple of seconds. When I started doing this particular kind of riding my girlfriend started fearing for my safety. The thing's she worries about she should worry about during my commute to school.
So last night instead of taking my late night ride during my normal times, I was forced to wait till after sun rise. My girlfriend insisted that I waited for the light, and now I dislike it. On my return trip home. I was nudge off the road, onto A nice little trail. I could navigate the trail well enough until I was forced to brake. The problem arise when my bike was not coming to halt. Coming to end off the trail, with a street sign marking the end, i was forced to choose. Go left and risk scratching paint with some cars, or risk face planting the ditch on the right.
I took my chances with the ditch. I manage not to flip off my bike by raising the front wheel slightly. Before I tell the end off story, a little background on my bike. It's traditionally a mounting bike, with a step though frame. I recently outfitted it with some worn road tires I found on a rusty road bike left by the dumpster. I do not have the money to buy proper hybrid tires, or even perform basic maintenance on my bike.
Back to the ditch, I managed to get my front wheel across and that was it. The impact popped my front tire. I do not have tire pump that I can readily carry, so that eliminates the need for me to carry a spare inner tube. With a flat tire I proceeded to finish the rest of the journey pushing my bike along side the road.
I will now invest in getting a smaller pump, and maybe a saddle bag to carry an inner tube. Also I will explain to my girlfriend why it's safer for me to ride at night, and she should not insist that I change this habit of mine. Plus I have lights no one will run into an unknown glowing object intentionally.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment